Saturday, March 26, 2011

Choices

Choices completely overwhelm him. I never realized how many choices people make through out the day until I had a kid who melts down at the very thought of having to choose. I remember once whehe was about 6, my parents sent the kids some money in a valentines card. He had 10 dollars to spend in the toy store. Every kids dream, right? Well, not my kid. He was sitting on the floor, with a toy in each hand crying, sobbing, because he couldn't figure out which to get. It took every ounce of willpower I had to not swoop in and tell hm he could get both. As a mom, you want to take away pain, and protect your child from feeling that. But as a parent of a kid with AS, you need to do the opposite, sort of. You need to help them get through it. You need to help them face it. And it's painful,and messy filled with tears. I'm sure a lot of parents in the store that day thought we had a pretty spoiled kid. Stomping feet, crying that he couldn't decide, but they don't know what i know.

He wasn't even diagnosed yet at that point. But I remember feeling right in that moment, that my life as a mother was never going to be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment